Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Art Marks 30 Day Challenge Prompts 5 - 8

Hi, creatives! 

I'm sharing four more pages I created for Rae's Art Marks 30 day challenge today. Check out her blog HERE for more information if you're interesting in joining. Such a fun project and I'm learning a ton about colours, shapes, mark making, brush work, etc!

5/30 prompt: More than one.

I filled my gelliprinted background with my usual aubergine colours: Golden Fluid Permanent Violet Dark, Paynes Gray, and Carbon Black.

Next I added in subtle textures and layering with stencils. I had just received the fabulous January StencilGirl club stencils, and had to play!! Check them out HERE. The large stencil is packed with all sorts of designs, and they work great together. I stenciled with the same colours as I used in the background, giving it subtle contrasts.


I extended the flower petals built into the stencil with a paint pen, then added purplish-pink dots on top and in middle. I wish I had a process picture to show you how the flower looked before I added the paint pen.
Purple circles with more dots to add to overall design. Always circles. haha!


In above photo you can see the gelliprints layers.


I took the above photos AFTER I completed the next challenge, so you can see the next pages' eye candy on the edge...loving this little junque journal with the torn, unevenly sized pages!!!

6/30 Prompt: Gridded


I started with swaths of colour in chartreuse, yellow, violet, neon pink and the mint, applying with my fingers and a brush occasionally. 

Added grid marks with a black pen and black Stabilo All, following with paint pen in areas.

Still crushing on these flowers called Unikko (poppies), designed by Finnish designer Maija Isola. They were black, and I cut them out and used matte medium to add them to this page. I added Golden Fluid in Teal and PaperArtsy Fresco Chalk Acrylic in Mermaid to the petals and center, adding black around the edges and center, with white paint dots in a ring to finish them off. :)

I painted in the leaves with a purple paint pen.





I did use a ruler in places to create straighter lines for the grid marks.
Loving the colours and shapes of this. I was hoping more of the background would show, but it didn't end up that way, as I kept on adding more paint to get the colours and blending the way it pleased me.

7/30 Prompt: Dozens


This was an interesting experiment for me. I put a few pages of an old discarded Calvin and Hobbes comic book into this little journal, and when I turned to this spread, I was struck by the illustration, and I enjoyed the vertical orientation, and it being on the far left. I decided to make it a little feature of the final look, instead of merely being another layer. 
The dots on the right are my "dozens". The page with the dots is just a scrap piece of paper where I had tried out newly carved stamps I made during Julie Balzer's 2015 Carve December challenge. I stuck with the original amount of dots, but added more colour and detail with paint markers.


After filling some of the background with some yellow, I spritzed neon pink fabric paint and let it run.


Violet paint and some Mermaid on some areas, finished with paint dots.


The little orange marks on right edge echoes Hobbes on upper left side of spread. :)

See? He's so cute.



I added in some white gesso to the middle page at top and lower left, and then pressing in a silicone potholder with a grid pattern in it to create some texture.

Dripped more neon paint over top the gesso on top.

8/30 Prompt: Rings


I took a BEFORE photo this time! The pages started out as gelliprints.

These circles on the left are perfect for RINGS. I swish paint on with my fingers.



Added in circle outlines to the circles with a paint pen and more yellow to the middles and then added the purple dots. I used the Circles Layer Me stencil for the gelliprint design and the top area is from the Puddles stencil. 

To decrease the busy look of the gelliprint, I smooshed some pink paint with my fingers, allowing the design to peak through, then scribbled with pencil into the paint while still damp.

Splattered some neon pink fabric paint spray to both pages of the spread.


And there it is: the next four prompts done. On to prompts 9-12!

To see my first four pages and photos of the journal itself, see HERE.
Thanks for visiting!

♥♥♥  Anna  ♥♥♥

2 comments:

  1. Love every bit of this. I have got to try and make a small book to do this. Your is so colorful and fun! Did you follow a tutorial to make your journal or just grab some fun papers and bind it? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patter! Totally missed this question! So sorry.

      I just stacked random scrap pieces of paper together, filded all in half, pierced two holes on the fold, going through each sheet, then tying it tight on the outside. I added a cover too, simply by nesting the stack inside it. :)

      Delete