Sunday, April 21, 2019

ReSketch COLOR Journal Collaboration

Hello, my friends! I've been silent around here, but I've been busy creating! I'm part of an exciting collaboration, so today, that's what I'm here to share with you!


A few of us are sharing our art journals today in a blog hop. Be sure to scroll down to the bottom to see all the other beautiful journals. This collaboration is between ReSketch and StencilGirl. Our challenge was to use one colour only. 

I chose my favourite colour ever EVER. I call it aubergine. It is a blend of deep violet dark, black and quinacridone magenta. Using only this colour was harder than I thought! I tried to use as much black and white to get that coveted depth that we all try to achieve. Not sure how successful I was - I still have much to learn - but this artist life is a journey, and being vulnerable is helpful, I think. :)

I received a cute little 3.5x5"journal to work in. You can purchase them here: https://resketchbook.com/products/resketch-journal-3-5-x-5-inch

I have a theme for this book. It's all about beautiful womanhood and being a mother, taken from a little devotional book called You Are Captivating: Celebrating a Mother's Heart by Stasi Eldredge.



I painted each page in this little re-purposed journal black, and roughed and crinkled up some of the pages. I pulled out the staples in the binding, poked two holes into the spine, and threaded this acrylic yarn through to bind it. I added some fun-looking beads to add interest.


I had a great time in creating this velvet aubergine color, and added the juicy and rich colour to the top edge of the pages. Yum. 







For the cover's small marks, I used this fabulous StencilClub stencil by Mary Beth Shaw October 2016.

The roses are from my go-to Deconstructed Floral Bouquet Stencil by Traci Bautista. For this look, I stenciled with white and the aubergine in a random manner.


"Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life." - Proverbs 4:23

Here, I stenciled with white paint on the black painted pages, then rubbed in the blend of aubergine, then stenciled white again in a random fashion, building the layers until I was happy with the look. Loving these funky roses on top of each other. This stencil has such a great design, as it features many versions of roses, and they go so great together. June 2018 Rosie 'O by Desiree Habicht from the StencilGirl Club Collection.



"God knows that our heart is core to who we are. It is the source of all creativity, courage and conviction."

Here, in it's simple splendor, are circles arranged in a grid all happy, made with the Circles Layer Me by Carolyn Dube, with the sponge loaded with varying shades and tints of the auberine paint. 


Love me some pockets and tag. I stitched two of the pages together to create a pocket.


The floral design is from the April 2017 Serendipity Floral by Jennifer Evans, from the StencilClub collection. I use this one over and over over, I like it so much! Well, I used all these featured over and over. LOL

I also used the little circles from the StencilClub stencil from June 2016, mentioned earlier. I adore that stencil for so many reasons. It's full of fun, small art marks, making it very versatile.



"This fierce abandoned, protective, devoted love was wholly new and profound. 
I had become a mother."

This page holds a new meaning for me today. We went to a Good Friday city-wide church service. I think of this somber time in history when Jesus' followers experienced such anguish, seeing their friend suffer and die, but I especially thought of Jesus' mother this time. I cried big crocodile tears thinking of her. She was a mother too. Jesus cared deeply about the women surrounding him. He was no misogynist! I have, over the years, heard this same story over and over, especially during the Easter season, but this time it just resonated with me more.

I used the smaller, matching stencil that comes in this set as used on the previous layout. I also used the Morse code stencil from the StencilClub set, Julie Snidle September 2015 - Lost Languages.




"My heart had expanded to the point that it no longer fit inside me."

I layered the background with the grid stencils (which can be slight seen in the photo below), then added the leaf design on top.






And there you have it! Please visit these other blogs to check out their beautiful work in these lovely journals by ReSketch. 

Scroll further down to see how you can win!









Amie Ruth (her project is pictured on the StencilGirl blog HERE.

We can't let you leave without saying THANK YOU for stopping by and for sharing in our color journal story. And, as a special Thank You, we also have a GIVEAWAY!

We are giving away a random selection of ReSketch journals AND a $25 StencilGirl® gift certificate to ONE LUCKY PERSON!
Make sure to comment below to let us know you've visited and let us know what color your journal would be. Visit each artist(s) blog for more chances to win! (comments due no later than April 28th midnight EST).
We will pick ONE winner on April 29th, 2019 so watch this space to see if you are a winner!

♥♥♥  Anna  ♥♥♥

28 comments:

  1. Your color choice is very pretty and I love the threads and dangly bits you added to your cover, very fun. I would use turquoise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never have chosen Aubergine especially if it was the only color I could use. You are not only a talented artist but a brave one, and your tiny journal is exquisite. Of course, purple is the symbolic color at Easter time, at least in my church it is, so the violet/aubergine color is very apt for this time of year...Loved how you used the darks and white to create magic on each page, and the heartfelt quotes. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What eloquent words you have used here. I greatly appreciate your comments, they mean a lot to me! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Forgot to mention my color, Aqua.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your colour choice. You have inspired me to try this colour as well. Your journal is very emotional, it spoke right to my soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lenore! I really enjoyed the challenge! :)

      Delete
  5. Your aubergine journal turned out beautifully - A lovely tribute to motherhood! (My color would probably be in the blue range.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used that same passage from Scripture as the title of my own journals -- it's so appropriate! I love your subtle blends of color as well as this rich aubergine hue itself! :-) And I'm delighted to see an artist witnessing as to the beauty of our faith. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecilia, wonderful to read your comment! "The beauty of our faith", yes yes! Thank you, I greatly appreciate it! I reach for your stencils often, love their "flow". It's time to revisit them and order your new ones and some older stencils I don't have yet. ♥

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous Anna! You know purple pages would fill mine! 💜

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! i would have never have chosen purple but your journal is absolute magic and I just might have to reconsider. Love the white pen work to highlight it all. Thank you for sharing. I recently redid my watercolor palette and found I have an abundance of green which I never thought to be a favorite color either so maybe I should try purple. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just can't get over this color! I need it in my life! Your journal is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♥♥♥ Thanks for this coming up with this great project, Tina!

      Delete
  10. Stunning color and such awesome texture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really embraced this challenge... love the color choice (even tho I cannot pronounce it)... such beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I pronounce it AH-ber-jeen. According to Google, it's a British word and you pronounce it like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=aubergine&rlz=1C1JZAP_enCA819CA819&oq=aubergine&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i60l2.1582j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

      Delete
  12. Simply stunning! This color is just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anna, what an absolutely amazing journal! The richness of the colors and the finishing embellishments on the binding are my favorite parts! I've really enjoyed getting to know you and your art through this collaboration, and I look forward to seeing more of your work on your blog!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks, Jenny!! Love your work too! ♥

      Delete
  14. what an amazing color and just beautiful pages! I wouldn't be too far off with my color.. more of an earthy plum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Laura! I love pairing earthy plum fabulous with aubergine! ♥

      Delete
  15. Oh Anna, you transformed this tiny recycled journal into something so beautiful and special! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marsha! It was a lot of fun deconstructing this tiny journal and playing with it! Working small is a bit challenging, yet very rewarding. :)

      Delete
  16. Tonight having found quiet time, I cane back to spend some time looking at your project. What remained the same from the quicky look to the deeper view is how "sensuous" your journal is. It feels beautiful and romantic and I so enjoy it. Kudos to mixing your own color, completing this project was huge, mixing your own color "Gasp"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lisa!! Your compliment will stay with me, I will treasure it, as that's exactly what I was going for!

      Delete
  17. Anna-just stunning color work! I love this rich aubergine that you created...and your theme added so much meaning to the project, what a wonderful refection. So fabulous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Cynthia! Thank you for your heartfelt comment! Just read it now, so sorry. I’m glad you enjoyed it. Such a fun collaboration and I love your project too! ����

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks For sharing this Superb article.I use this Article to show my assignment in college.it is useful For me Great Work. cheap printing services

    ReplyDelete